What are Dhikr? (Zikr)
Dhikr are devotional acts in which short phrases or prayers are recited within the mind or aloud, using the phalanges of your hand or a tasbih to keep count. The prayers typically involve invoking the names of Allah or reciting duʿāʾ (supplication) derived from the hadith or Quran. Dhikr, which translates to "remembering," serves as a means of connecting with Allah. While the virtues, blessings, and advantages of Dhikr are plentiful, here are a handful of its notable benefits:
- Make us closer to Allah
- Meditation for inner peace. It produces joy and happiness in your heart and relieves it from worries
- Strengthens body and mind
- Assures constant patronage of Allah. When we remember Him he remembers us in his inflictions. “Whosoever remembers Me in his heart. I remember him in My heart”. [Hadith]
- It is a common observation that when a person remains engaged in Dhikr they stay away from harmful thought patterns, backbiting and other harmful behaviour
- Purifies the heart from worldly desires and indifferences. It is also very convenient because you can do Dhikr any time, and anywhere even if you’re moving or working.
- It brightens the face and heart
- Can be done in separately or collectively. It is also great act to sit in the gathering where people are busy in remembering Allah.
- Angels surround the person engaged in Dhikr.
- Dhikr strengthens the iman and relieves the heart by dispelling fears from heart.
We create a variety of pieces that can be found in our Tasbih Necklace and Tasbih Bracelet Collections to support your practice.